Data Generation in Manufacturing and the Data Storage Management Challenges
Unlike the common thought process, the Manufacturing Industry does generate data.
The Digital Transformation wave sweeping across the industry makes them embrace emerging technologies like AI, and modern digital communication channels, which thrive on data.Plant data management and secure effective communication form the core of their quest to create a modern, digital, and streamlined process for the future.
The growth of data in Manufacturing
Industry 4.0 is all about intelligent and interconnected devices. These devices gather data utilized by digital systems to enhance the device's performance.
Manufacturing Companies are rapidly seeking to sync their Information Technology and Operational Technology processes for efficiency and enhanced customer service.This collaboration among the manufacturing, IT, and automation teams means sharing data, insights, and business communication and holding on to it for a long-time using an effective data retention policy and robust data storage management tools.
What’s at Stake for Manufacturers with inadequate data storage management
Manufacturing companies, in general, are targeted for information on their manufacturing processes, especially for high-demand products. They are targeted for intellectual property, trade secrets, and patented designs and technology.
Manufacturing Companies are likely to face security threats like web application attacks, cyber espionage, corporate espionage, operational downtime, product manipulation, etc. Additionally, manufacturers work in association with other vendors, which means a threat anywhere in the complete process exposes others.
Financial loss, brand erosion, and litigations are some of the major risks of an inadequate data retention policy or a lack of a robust data storage management system.Related: Small businesses and the cost of poor data management
Challenges to Data Storage Management and Protection for Manufacturers
The most likely source of security breaches is the human aspect. The overlapping areas of technology, along with people and processes, are the areas that leave the system ajar and let risk seep in.
Current employees, who fall prey to phishing or are not careful enough with handling their emails, are the foremost source. Followed by former employees, who somehow have access to their mails and email backup software, competitors and hackers are equally responsible for security threats.
The risk to data is proportional to the number of employees having access to it without security protocols.
- With changing definitions of what is not considered sensitive data, manufacturing organizations are unaware of what data privacy and protection laws they need to follow.
- Reliance on legacy data management systems built for specialized information makes manufacturers hesitant to adopt modern data management systems.
- On-premises email archiving solutions, though popular, come with limitations. The need to store emails over a long period can take up a lot of space and eventually be insufficient as the company grows. They are often high maintenance, and the running costs are high.
- Such solutions offer no to limited search options for specific information on an individual level. Even in the best email backup software, retrieving information is a tedious process consuming time and resources, and often halts operations due to delay
- Such solutions generally get outdated as the compliance policies change, incurring additional costs on upgrades or new system adoption. They often lack supervision layers, exposing data to breaches.
Vaultastic eases adoption of Cloud Data Storage Management solutions by Manufacturers
As per Business Wire: Manufacturing Sector is expected to spend nearly $19.7 billion on Cloud Services.
Robust Cloud Email Archive
Ease of Use
Up to 60% Cost Optimization
Benefits for the Manufacturing Companies with Vaultastic as the Data Storage Management platform
Low Operational Cost
Optimized, Cost-effective Storage
Data Residency to comply with Government regulations
The Vaultastic Edge for Email Archiving
Cross Platform. Independent. Open
- Manufacturing Industry
- 1. Why does the Manufacturing Sector need to invest in a Cloud Data/Email Archiver?More
Increasing adoption of digital technologies by Manufacturing is leading to large volumes of data carrying intellectual property, personal information, designs and more. And email is the ubiquitous carrier of this business critical information.
Manufacturing companies, are frequently targeted for intellectual property, trade secrets, and patented designs and technology.
Financial loss, brand erosion, and litigations are some of the major risks of an inadequate data retention policy or a lack of a robust data storage management system.
Learn more: Why archive email
- 2. How does Vaultastic ensure data security at all times?
- 3. The data volume keeps on increasing. Will the search be as seamless as it is now five years down the line?More
Absolutely. Vaultastic is a highly scalable platform that is agnostic to the size of data. It builds on the elastic cloud store to deliver a boundless storage architecture. Vaultastic’s ediscovery is engineered to find any data of any period from the Active store in a few seconds.
- 4. Is Vaultastic compatible with the current email storage infrastructure at our organization?
- 5. Can I provide access to the data depending on the organizational hierarchy?